Friday, January 6, 2012

Squash of the Season

Many people think now that it is winter, it is hard to find good grub that is not only in season, but still delicious. I myself, have had difficulties trying to find something out of the ordinary at this time, which is when I was reminded of the oh-so-savory spaghetti squash. As a kid, my babysitter use to make this for my sister and I all the time. What's better than a meal covered in butter and cheese when your ten years old? Not much. We would sit at the table and shovel spoonfuls into our mouths begging for more when we hadn't even finished half our plates. As I walk through Hannaford's, I see a sign advertising this winter time treat. So, being me, I put three of them in my carriage, obviously being judged by those who are too good to overindulge in what is on sale. Anyways, I decide I am going to cook this squash in my brand new, state of the art crock pot! A Christmas gift from mom, and a very useful one at that. So I leave the squash in the crock pot on low for 9 hours while I make my way to work. As excited as I was, I began to consider if they're were any benefits to eating such a mushy, yellow vegetable. I racked my brain for information and came up vitamin A, vitamin C, and fiber. Usually, a good rule of thumb is that yellow-orange fruits and vegetables are high in vitamin A and beta-carotene. Beta Carotene is a fat-soluble compound that gives these foods their color. It is also considered a pro-vitamin because it can be converted to active vitamin A in your body, which we all know is good for vision, skin, immune function, and antioxidant activity. Just one measly cup of this squash provides as much beta carotene as one raw orange. Spaghetti squash is also awesome because it contains a respectable amount of potassium, vitamin C, B vitamins, thiamin, robiflavin, and folate. So I know your all dying to know, what did I do with this crock potted squash after work?!
Well, I'll tell you. Many recipes for spaghetti squash demand to simply fork out the strands of squash until you get a plate full of what looks like spaghetti. You then add 1-2 tbsps of butter and cheese, and voila! For me, this just didn't cut it anymore. So I added olive oil in place of butter, salt, pepper, and curry powder (to taste), tomato, chick peas, cilantro, parsley, and a hint of Parmesan cheese. Although spaghetti squash does provide about 1 gram of protein per cup, it is not a sufficient protein intake for the average Joe. Adding chick peas will boost your protein intake without adding any fatty meat (which would taste weird with spaghetti squash, anyways). I made two servings of this, thinking that it may not be enough. Squash and peas for dinner? No way, I'm starving! But sure enough, we were both completely full and satisfied. So to all of you who get bored at the grocery store in the winter time, have no fear! Spaghetti Squash is here to keep you full and healthy until springtime produce makes their annual debut.

Have any of your own delicious squash recipes? Share them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment